Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Monday Night RAW Review!!! (4/30/12)


Monday Night RAW is live in Dayton, Ohio coming off the heels of WWE Extreme Rules. I'm here to give my reaction to one of the more.....unusual Monday Night RAW shows.



This was quite the interesting opening segment. Triple H and Brock Lesnar face to face. I've been waiting to see these two go at it for a long time and we may just get out match.......well maybe.

Triple H went on a long speech basically saying all the stuff Lesnar asked for is null and void. Brock attacked Triple H and "broke" his arm. Let's be real, Triple H's arm isn't broken, but for the sake of argument, let's just say it is.

I liked this segment, it still showed that Brock Lesnar is an unstable monster even after losing to Cena to last night. He "broke" the arm of the COO and put him on the shelf. I expect a match between these two somewhere down the road.  If you think Triple H will just let this go, you haven't been watching Triple H for very long.

But where does Lesnar go from here? First Cena, then Triple H. Who does he go after next?





And now, we begin the Beat the Clock matches. It's been a while (I think) since we had a beat the clock series of matches on WWE Television. The prize is to face CM Punk for the WWE Championship at Over the Limit.

The Miz beat Santino in this first match which was wayyy better than their pre-show match last night. Given a little more time, they had a good match. Miz holds the record so far at 4:18.





The Divas Championship. I guess I have no choice but to review this. I have this rant about the Divas Division and how far it's fallen, but that can be saved for another day.

Layla squashes The Bella Twins and retains the Divas Championship. Meh, the Bellas contract was expiring anyway.





The Jericho/Big Show match wasn't bad. When you've been around as long as Jericho and Show have, you know how to get a solid match out of one another. The pace was slow, and methodical and good for the little time they were given. But what confused me was the ending. I think it was a little bit botched. Either the referee didn't count fast enough so that he reached 10 as soon as the clocked hit 0, or what. I don't think they even put Jericho's time up. They pretty much forgot about it and Miz still held the top time. Oh well. Moving on....





Brodus Clay squash. Nothin much else to say here. Oh, they brought kids in the ring to dance with them. How nice. I wish they would do something with this man. I'm slowly starting to get tired of him. Not yet.





Randy Orton took on Jack Swagger in the third beat the clock match. This match wasn't anything special. I personally don't like Jack Swagger's in-ring ability. He comes off too sloppy at times and rather boring to me. Nothing jumps out about him to me. Makes me wonder why he was World Champion that one time.

Nonetheless, Randy Orton wins after hitting the RKO narrowly beating The Miz's time and The Viper controlled the top spot.

I must say, I was thoroughly enjoying the Beat the Clock matches.





A WWE Tag Team Championship Match? On RAW? Whoa....

Anyway, I was never really sold on Primo and Epico as tag team champions, even though they're great in the ring. They were only relevant because Rosa is so sexy. But I saw this coming a mile away. Truth and Kofi are over with the crowd and this was a good tag team title match in my opinion. But, I wonder if Kofi and Truth are actually going to do anything with the tag titles. There really aren't that many tag teams in the WWE.

But where do Rosa, Epico and Primo go from here? After the match, they were seen talking to A.W. Apparently, this guy is putting together a stable of superstars. I'm interested in seeing where this goes and if it's going to get these guys over.






Kane and Khali was just your normal big man match. I didn't find anything particularly special about it except for the fact that time ran out. I was expecting something a little better than that. Kane gets pissed and chokeslams Khali afterwards.

Orton is safe for yet another round.






I assume there was nobody left for Bryan to fight, so they just gave him Jerry "The King" Lawler to beat up on. Lawler moved pretty well in the ring and showed that he still got for a man of his age. But, it was inevitable. We knew who was winning this one. Daniel Bryan makes King tap out to the YES! lock and beats Orton's time.

CM Punk will defend the WWE Championship against Daniel Bryan at Over the Limit.

Let that sink in for a minute. We're in store for what could be one of the best technical wrestling matches to date. We know how extremely skilled in the ring these two are and had a few matches on TV here and there. But now, they're on a pay-per-view stage where they truly show off their abilities and fight for the WWE Championship. I will certainly be glued to this match every second. If you're a fan of good wrestling, then you're going to enjoy this match.

But, I'm interested to see what they do in terms of a feud. Do they go back to their roots in ROH, or do they just make up a whole fantastical storyline?





Hey, it's John Cena! Wasn't he was going on vacation or something?

Anyway, Cena comes and cuts the usual good guy promo and cue Big Johnny. If there's one thing I'll give Cena is that he does a damn good impression of Big Johnny. That's for damn sure.

Now, this segment was pure genius. He goads Cena into thinking he'd be facing Lord Tensai at Over the Limit, but he's really going to be facing Big Johnny! Big Johnny took some lessons from Mr. McMahon with the way he attacked Cena and barked out orders to Lord Tensai.

I am actually excited for this match. We all know this won't be a straight up one-on-one match. There's gonna be a stipulation where the odds will be stacked against Cena. This has the potential to be very good, but that all depends on what they do with Cena. They can't have him get his ass whipped all the way up to Over the Limit. He needs at least one week where he gets the upper hand on Big Johnny.

But overall, I'm actually glad it's Cena vs Big Johnny and not Cena vs Lord Tensai.


I give this RAW a B. Some good matches here and there and a nice surprise at the end and we already have two matches heading into Over the Limit and I can't wait! Cena vs Big Johnny and Punk vs Bryan for the WWE Championship. WWE is slowly, but surely getting their edge back. We're looking at perhaps 5 great pay-per-views in a row!

No comments:

Post a Comment