Sunday, April 1, 2012

WrestleMania Final Thoughts


WrestleMania 28 is tonight on PPV!! This Mania is being hyped as the Greatest WrestleMania of All Time, but will it live up to the hype? "Stats" Rodney and myself already went through our predictions, but on WrestleMania day, it's only fitting to have a few final thoughts before the show gets underway. I'm gonna go through each match, one last time and show you where I stand after the week that was.


The Rock vs John Cena. Team Bring It vs Team CeNation. The Attitude Era vs The PG Era. You look at it from all angles, and you have a history making match on your hands.

For months people have been talking about this match. As it got closer and closer, the hype grew more and more. And now, it's finally here. The match that fans have been clamoring about on Twitter for months and months. It's finally here! What makes this match really so special is the amount of people that are taking sides in this matter. You can see it on Facebook and on Twitter. The hype is all around us. This is what wrestling has been missing for so long: the atmosphere, the hype, the passion, the energy, etc. And now, with this show, and this match, it's back.

It's no question who I'm going for. I got The Rock. I'm on his side and I say he should win the match. Let's be honest, Cena's popularity is so HUGE. He's pretty much reached Legendary status. A loss is not going to hurt him as much as people think. There's no torch to be passed here. Cena IS the torch.

But I need to revisit a certain issue. For weeks Cena's been saying all this nonsense about The Rock which is actually quite ridiculous. I'm a John Cena fan, but I'm an ever Bigger Rock fan. Rock has done nothing wrong. There's nothing wrong in finding a different passion, wanting to make it on your own merits, wanting to see your family more, staying in good health, and still have a love for the business. When he said he was never leaving, that didn't mean he was going to be on every single RAW, SmackDown and house show. Get real. The WWE isn't his main career anymore, but that doesn't mean he doesn't still love the business. Most of you people need to get this through your heads before you start throwing stones at the guy.

Cena is also contradictory. He talks about how Rock being here takes away spots from the boys in the back. Then he says, he wants Rock back. Huh? He needs to get his priorities straight.

Anyway, enough about that. This is going to be a great match. Rock proved that he's still in great shape at the Survivor Series and Cena has proven on a number of occasions that he can work a match with the very best. Now, I'm gonna throw a little curveball in here. I think Brock Lesnar gets involved, costs Rock the match allowing Cena to win setting up Brock vs Rock next year. Brock Lesnar really has thrown a monkey wrench into things hasn't he?

The Rock vs John Cena. The atmosphere in Miami, The Rock's Hometown, will be absolutely electric. It's going down.



Will this be the night when Undertaker finally goes down?

Triple H is 2-0 with HBK as the guest referee. All signs point to some sort of screwjob that will take place, but it's hard. You really can't put your finger on just how this match will end. Will HBK screw Taker? Will HBK screw Triple H? Will he just call it down the middle? Will he attempt to screw anybody, but catch the wrong person? Will Brock Lesnar interfere? Etc. It's interesting no doubt about it.

But the story behind this actually caught me by surprise. I thought to myself, "Why would want to see another HHH/Undertaker match?" And then came the promo where Undertaker said he didn't want his last image in the WWE as him going out on a stretcher. It made sense. Now, we have this End of an Era moniker looming around this match that is now Hell in a Cell. The two masters of the Cell are going at it. It's going to get physical and it's going to be bloody.

I don't see Undertaker losing, nor do I see Brock Lesnar getting involved. I think Undertaker wins this match. I don't really have an answer as to what HBK will do in this one. Maybe he tries to screw Taker, but catches Triple H instead? Everything adds up to Taker losing, but no matter how you slice it, Taker is going 20-0. Anything otherwise would be ridiculous.




I got four words for you: MATCH OF THE NIGHT!

I'll get to the story in a second, but most people don't realize what we could witness tonight. These two are the best wrestlers right now. CM Punk has really improved his game since Summertime and Jericho looks like he hasn't missed a beat in the ring since his absence. These guys are literally the best in the world. I'm looking forward to a GREAT wrestling match between these two tonight. I will be damned if it's anything less.

Now, I've been wanting this feud ever since Jericho's return back in January. Best in the World vs Best in the World. But this feud needed another layer of depth added to it so that this Best in the World thing wasn't the only thing attached to this feud. This is why Jericho took it one step further and really kicked this feud into high gear. He talked about Punk's family and whatnot. Ever since his character change, Punk's always been the cocky, smart aleck, type of person, but now he's got no comeback for what Jericho is throwing at him. He needed to tap into his inner anger to show just what happens when he gets mad. I think THIS feud has been built up way better than Rock vs Cena and HHH vs Undertaker.

But after all is said and done, I got CM Punk pulling out the win in this one. It's almost a foregone conclusion as to who will win, but I know we are going to be treated to one hell of a wrestling match.




A lot of people aren't talking about this match which makes it the perfect sleeper pick.

Whether people like it or not, in the span of 4 months, Daniel Bryan went from being the underdog to the coward. The WWE has done a masterful job in making this guy the top heel on SmackDown. He's getting crowd reactions, his mic skills are getting better every week, and he's got AJ by his side all the time. Oh and let's not forget, he's the WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION! I'm sort of happy Bryan won the title early and went through this heel turn. It really turned his career around as he was going nowhere.

Now, onto his opponent Sheamus. Well, I like Sheamus. I like how his face character has developed since Summer and I'm also happy with the fact that he won the Royal Rumble. But the only problem with this match is the lack of a build to it. This is actually a good thing to me. They didn't need to go overboard and make this into some personal conflict. It wasn't shoved down our throats is what I'm saying. It's simply, a man that wants to be Champion vs a guy that always seems to win. These two have some pretty good in ring chemistry and I'm expecting a good one with these two.

All that being said, I'm going with Sheamus to win the World Title. Simply because if he loses, there's really nothing for him to go back to. He can't get a rematch. This will be his only shot. Bryan, on the other hand, can take his character to the next level with a loss here. But what makes this interesting is the AJ factor. On RAW, she willingly jumped into harm's way to save her man. This begs the question: what role is she going to play in the World Title match?

And to think, these two weren't even on WrestleMania last year. Now, they're competing for the World Heavyweight Championship. My, what a difference a year makes.





I am VERY interested in this match. Allow me to explain.

I've been a fan of Cody Rhodes ever since his "Disfigured" Gimmick where he had to wear the mask and parade around as some ugly looking human being. It was some of his best work. Then, in November he came out with no mask and new music. Almost like a Rebirth type phase. The kid has talent. He's one Main feud away from Main Event status, and this may be it.

Let's be honest, nobody really thought much of this feud, but if you really look at the build, it's damn good. Rhodes has done some of the best mic work in his career so far: mocking Show, embarrassing him with all those WrestleMania videos, etc. He single handily has me interested in this feud. You don't know which way it's going. Either Show breaks his Mania streak and wins the title, or Rhodes continues to move up the ladder and retain the title.

Well, I see Rhodes retaining here. Why? Because Big Show doesn't need the Intercontinental Championship right now and Rhodes needs to be put over. I think he'll lose a great deal of credibility if he loses. The way I see the match going is that Rhodes is probably going to stall most of the time, Show will finally get his hands on him, and Rhodes will retain in heel fashion. I'll be surprised if this goes past 10 minutes. Maybe the opening match?




In a FOUR HOUR pay per view event, this should get a decent amount of time. But I have to say, ever since the match itself was announced, I've been disappointed with the build. Everything beforehand was so well done, and once the match was announced, everything just started to be built lazily. Then again, this is just my opinion. Basically, Team Johnny has a team of stars and Team Teddy basically has a team of Jobbers. Booker T. being added here is a breath of fresh air for Team Teddy, but I don't think it'll be enough.

The way Johnny and Teddy have been going at it for months, this match needs a good payoff. The winning GM controls both shows here! There's no reason why this match should get anything from 10, maybe 15 minutes. Nothing too long. Just enough time for everybody on the team to shine. With all that being said, I see Team Johnny getting the win here. I've been particularly impressed with the way David Otunga has been built all this time and I'm calling for him to get the pinfall to give Team Johnny the win. Sorry Teddy.




This one definitely won't be a technically sound match. It's going to be a brawl. There's not much of a story heading into this one, but the match itself should be entertaining. I don't see this feud ending after WrestleMania, and you can't have a top star like Orton lose at WrestleMania. I'm giving the win to The Viper.

And for those saying Orton should've been in the World Title match, just think about what you're saying for a second. Orton maybe the top face on SmackDown, but he doesn't need to be in the World Title picture at the moment. We've seen that already. Give him a break from the World Title scene and let Bryan and Sheamus get their match over without the use of a big name star added to it. According to sources, Orton wasn't going to be in the World Title match regardless of what happened. He was originally supposed to wrestle Del Rio, but he's not 100%.




I'm really not expecting much from this match. I think this is just one of those matches where people go to the bathroom or something. Kelly Kelly is probably going to do most of the grunt work and Maria is gonna come in and get the pinfall victory. After all, she can't do much with her two broken ribs. I still say it should've been Beth Phoenix vs Eve, but I digress.



If you aren't pumped by now, then look at this:




I'm sure there's gonna be a few more final touches added to it, but this is what the set will look like tonight at WrestleMania!!!

Enjoy WrestleMania 28!!! We know we will!!!

Feel free to Comment.


By: Gerald "Showstopper" Prophete

No comments:

Post a Comment